1. JOB TITLE
EDUCATION DISTRICT HEALTH NURSE
IN ACCORDANCE WITH ASSIGNMENT
4. ORGANISATIONAL RELATIONSHIP
The Education District Health Nurse will report to the MOE House Doctor.
5. NATURE & SCOPE
Performs public health nursing within a primary health care paradigm and is responsible for the management of an assigned education district, towards optimum health and wellbeing of MOE staff and students. Also, to place emphasis on child health, health promotion, disease prevention and rehabilitation.
6. SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Education District Health Nurse would be required to:
- Participate in the review of policies for the district in accordance with the Ministry of Health and the Authority.
- Edit and update MOE Health guidelines, protocols and procedures.
- Develop a community profile for the Education district.
- Identify the health needs of the Education district.
- Review the operational plan for the health district in collaboration with MOE officials.
- Guide and direct the actions of school and ministry officials as it relates to COVID-19
- Liaise with MOE Heads of Division on issues related to client health.
- Conduct needs assessments for financial, human, and material resources within three months of assuming office.
- Conduct pre- and post-conferences for the daily activities of the Health Centre.
- Liaise with other members of the Health Care team.
- Conduct assessment of students and refer them to the Medical Officer.
- Conduct health education sessions at schools and MOE offices
- Coordinate activities for the effective functioning of the health district.
- Attend Education District and Fraternity meetings as required
- Conduct surveillance on communicable and non-communicable diseases in the health district using the specified forms and guidelines.
- Maintain the cold chain using the prescribed policies and guidelines.
- Identifies the target population for each vaccine according to age groups and stipulated time frame.
- Immunise clients following guidelines and procedures.
- Maintain records and reports.
- Ensure that school screening/isolation area is well maintained in all aspects required by nursing standards.
- Maintain good working relationships with designated school personnel and other MOE officials
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Organisational Relationships.
7. KEY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General Nursing skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (oral/written).
- Participates in continuing nursing education programmes annually for at least 32 hours.
- Advocacy skills.
- Ability to function independently.
8. MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate in District Health Visiting.
- Recognised certification in Midwifery.
- A Nursing Degree from a recognised institution.
- Current licensure with the Nursing Council of Trinidad and Tobago in General Nursing and Midwifery.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in various hospital departments.
- Sound knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures.
9. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
10. COMMUNICATION AND WORKING RELATIONSHIP
- All Heads of Division,
- Principals or their representatives,
- Education District Nurses
- Education House Officer
Heads of Governmental and Nurses’ ,
Governmental Organisations, e.g. WASA
Community Groups, etc
County Medical Officers of Health
District Health Visitors
| || || || |